As you may have noticed from my Instagram feed, I am a massive fan of breakfast. My morning routine consists of a glass of lemon water, followed by yoga or a walk around my neighbourhood, shower, green tea, and then…. breakfast! I find that my breakfast sustains me for a whole morning of thought-heavy work, and prepares me best for a day of writing or seeing clients.
Breakfast can unfortunately end up becoming monotonous and tasteless. I couldn’t live with a tasteless breakfast, and so in order to help you avoid this situation as well, I have pulled together some of my favourite breakfasts from over the last year to inspire you.
Poached eggs on sweet potato toasts with shiitake mushroom, crushed avocado, spinach, and sunflower seeds
(Image featured above)
- Brush the tops of the sweet potato slices with olive oil. Bake in a 180 degree oven on a lined tray for 15 minutes.
- Crush ¼ of an avocado, mix with a squeeze of lemon juice, and season.
- Lightly fry shiitake mushrooms in 1 tsp of coconut oil for 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Poach eggs for 4 – 5 minutes. Allow to dry for a few seconds on a paper towel.
- To assemble: Place spinach on one side of your plate and the sweet potato slices on the other side. Top each slice of sweet potato with an egg. Scatter over the shiitake mushrooms, dollop the crushed avocado on the spinach, and sprinkle over the sun flower seeds.
To make the buckwheat crackers that accompany this recipe, read below.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together 1/3 cup whole buckwheat flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Mix well until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Little by little, add a small amount of cold water. Mix well between each addition of water until the mixture turns into dough (add more flour if the mixture becomes too wet).
- Turn the dough out on to a bench top, and knead for 5 minutes. Roll it into a ball.
- Place the dough between two pieces of grease proof paper; press on the dough to form a disc.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until it is .3cm thick. Peal off the top piece of grease proof paper.
- Using a knife, lightly mark the dough into the shape of crackers. Place the dough and grease proof paper on a baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown. It will harden up even more after it comes out of the oven.
- Break the crackers at their markings and use them to scoop up your Shakshuka!
Chilli crushed avocado on Biona rye bread
- In a small bowl, crush ½ an avocado, add lemon juice, salt and mix well.
- Toast Biona bread for two minutes max.
- To assemble: Spread half the avocado mixture on each slice of Biona toast. Scatter chilli flakes over the avocado, followed by lots of pepper!
Poached eggs with avocado on leftover hash
- Roughly chop up leftover roasted vegetables (or steamed vegetables). Lightly fry the vegetables in 1 tsp of coconut oil until heated through.
- Poach eggs for 4 – 6 minutes each. Allow to rest on a paper towel for a few seconds before serving.
- To assemble: Spoon a nice helping of vegetables on to each plate, top with two poached eggs, half a sliced avocado, and scatter with chopped parsley.
I hope this helps inspire you to delight in your mornings more often, and encourages you to seek sustaining energy for the rest of your day!
Feed, nourish, value yourself.