The rain seems to have ceased, for now at least, and the Auckland sun is streaming through our open French doors at the back of the house. It's as though Lamb Shanks don't even have a place in this weather anymore.
I made this meal over the weekend, when the rain was heavy and the clouds were thick grey. They lay in a heavy based Le Creuset in the middle of the oven for 4 and a half hours until they were dribbling off the bone. Then we pulled the curtains and ate them with wilted silver beet and sweet potato puree. Two components that never disappoint in my house.
If there are anymore winter nights left in this season... I suggest filling it with Rosemary & Tomato Lamb Shanks. They are simple to make, tantalising on the tongue, and unforgettable xx
Slow-cooked Rosemary & Tomato Lamb Shanks
3 - 4 lamb shanks
8 dried dates, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 1/2 tsp paprika
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped, discard stems
3 bay leaves
2 cans diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Soak dates in the red wine and set aside.
- Rub lamb shanks with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on an oven tray and grill in the oven for 10 minutes on each side until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and turn the temperature down to 180 degrees.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 Tbsp oil in a crock pot big enough to hold the lamb shanks and place on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chilli, and rosemary. Allow to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place the onion mixture and red wine mixture into a small food processor (or use a stick blender) and blitz until smooth.
- Add lamb shanks, onion mixture, tomato cans, 1/2 cup water, and bay leaves to the crock pot. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 3 - 4 1/2 hours, until the meat is falling off the bone. Make sure to add more water if the liquid starts to dry out. I also tend to rotate the lamb shanks every 1 - 2 hours.
- Serve with mashed kumara or cauliflower rice, and steamed greens.
Feed, nourish, value yourself.