We had a lazy Sunday afternoon this weekend while I was craving vegetables, but not in the form of a salad or a stir fry. I came up with these delicious morsels... and thought I'd share them as an easy dinner or lunch. I'm not strictly paleo, dairy-free, or gluten-free, but I understand many of you are for various reasons, and thought this could be of help. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
"Paleo" Vegetarian Burgers
1 sweet potato
2 portobello mushrooms
1 small red onion
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
small handful coriander
juice of quarter lemon
1 cos, washed and leaves removed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potato into 4 thick slices (more if making them for numerous people).
- Oil both sides of the sweet potato, and place them on a lined oven tray alongside the portobello mushrooms. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft but firm.
- Meanwhile, slice the red onion in half, then continue to slice the two halves into strips.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a frying pan, add the red onion, and sauté for 5 minutes, constantly pushing the onion around with a wooden spoon. Add the apple cider vinegar, stir well for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Smash the avocado with a fork into a small bowl, squeeze over the lemon juice, sprinkle over the coriander, and mix well. Season.
- Remove the sweet potato and mushrooms from the oven and prepare to 'plate' your burgers.
- On each plate, place a slice of sweet potato, topped with 2 cos leaves, cucumber, tomato, a portobello mushroom each, smashed avocado, red onion chutney, and finally another slice of sweet potato. Enjoy!
Feed, nourish, value yourself.