If you're anything like me, you will eat peanut butter out of the jar, or better yet, dip a piece of bitter dark chocolate into the deliciously blended butter and pop it straight into your mouth. Peanut butter and dark chocolate is my absolute favourite food combination. Although this may seem like an amalgamation of sweetness, in many ways it is actually a savoury delight. Take for instance the bitter cacao and the salty peanut butter - you can't get much more savoury than that!
Caught red-handed, I thought I better make something of this instead of just lingering over the peanut butter jar in the kitchen while I scoop dark chocolate spades into the gooey muck. I was inspired by a recipe I saw while surfing the foodie blog world and decided to get my A-into-G and make my own. This is an incredibly easy recipe to make (took me 15 minutes) despite its three steps, and it doesn't require a food processor.
Benefits for the body.
I wanted to make a peanut butter bar that was obviously refined sugar-free, but also was low in natural-sugars. This means it could happily be enjoyed as a daily snack, instead of just a once-a-week-indulgence. There are only 3 Tbsp of raw honey in the entire batch (which has 12 slices) so it doesn't disrupt your blood sugar levels by much. Raw honey consists of copious amounts of nutrients, meaning that as a sweetener it adds value to your health instead of taking away from it.
This bar is rich in nourishing fats; coconut oil and peanuts, to keep you energised and functioning efficiently, with a little dose of protein.
The raw cacao is minimally processed, and is nutrient-rich in magnesium and b-vitamins, which are important for energy creation. Lastly, cacao's antioxidant properties help to boost the immune system, getting rid of nasty free radicals that can lead to infection or disease.
Keep this bad boy in the fridge for when you or your little ones (or your man) want something 'sweet' and delicious!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar (GF, SF, DF)
Makes 12 slices
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
5 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp raw honey / rice malt syrup
1 Tbsp cacao powder
1 cup desiccated coconut
3 Tbsp coconut oil
6 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp raw honey / rice malt syrup
6 Tbsp coconut oil
6 Tbsp cacao powder
½ tsp flaky salt
- Mix together peanut butter and honey in a medium sized bowl.
- Add cacao and coconut. Mix well – you will need to use the back of a spoon the mash the mixture together.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin and press the mixture down with a spoon. Using the back of the spoon, smooth the base so it is leveled.
- Melt all ingredients together in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix continuously.
- Pour over the base and place in the fridge (or freezer) until the middle layer is set.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Add cacao powder and whisk well to get rid of all the cacao balls.
- Pour over the middle layer.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Return to the fridge to set.
- When ready, slice into 12 pieces, and store in the fridge.
Feed, nourish, value yourself.