Every day the sun is loosing more of its warmth here in London. Soon we'll only have a few hours of its presence each day. So, this afternoon when the sun was high and bright, I took the opportunity to take afternoon tea out on our lovely terrace.
In preparation, I whipped up this scrumptious loaf, which really takes no time at all. The great thing about this bread is that it can be eaten with savoury or sweet toppings. My husband is a mad peanut butter fan (we nearly go through a jar each week!), and I prefer avocado on almost everything.
Benefits For Your Body.
The base of the loaf was inspired by my lovely friend Emma, who designed a Spiced Pumpkin Cake the other week (see her recipe here). This loaf is made of a combination of sweet potato, whole buckwheat, and almond meal. I love the combination because it provides the body with various nutrients instead of only one kind from a standard flour. They also create a lovely texture in the bread. I used cinnamon because it has amazing properties to support the liver to function well. The eggs and coconut oil offer quality fat to help stabilize hormones and boost the immune system. Lastly, I used rice malt syrup instead of other sweeteners to minimize the fructose load.
I hope you enjoy this loaf in a place that is refreshing and relaxing.
Sweet Potato, Chilli, Cinnamon Loaf
1 cup almond flour
1 cup whole buckwheat flour
2/3 cup sweet potato puree (steam sweet potato, then puree)
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ cup rice malt syrup
½ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees fan forced.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, spices, and baking soda.
- Add the sweet potato puree and mash it into the mixture using a fork.
- Add the eggs and whisk all the ingredients together, followed by the rice malt syrup, and the coconut oil. Whisk everything together.
- Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin. Place in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- When it seems ready, insert with a sharp knife to check. The knife should come out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the loaf tin, then take it out of the tin, and keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
Serve cold or toasted, spread with either cream cheese, organic butter, sliced avocado, or peanut butter.
Feed, Nourish, Value Yourself.